The GIFP supports the fight against organised crime and tackles illicit flows in five ways:
- Information sharing and analysis to support effective responses to illicit flows and mitigate the impact that transnational organised crime has on national and international governance, security and rule of law.
- Disruption of illicit flows by preventing the inflow of drugs and other illicit goods by way of interception at borders and other points of entry and exit.
- Linking the institutional chain of actors to provide a coherent focus towards criminal investigation and criminal justice.
- Supporting the development of national drugs policies, especially within the field of drug demand and harm reduction.
- Increasing regional and transregional cooperation and coordination in the fight against transnational organised crime.